Monday 30 November 2015

Emancipation & Music

Welcome to my new blog, I appreciate you taking the time to visit.

I've been an artist for as long as I can remember, specifically a songwriter, though I do other things too. My career so far has been a series of fits and starts, I gather myself to move forward, then I hesitate; it feels like I constantly step up on to the first rung of a ladder only to loose focus, stepping down and retreating from my dreams with an increasing sense of dismay.

Being an artist and defining what that means for oneself is a powerful calling. I have an irrepressible drive to create, to extend myself and share the vividness of my experience with the world but I also have this habit of thwarting my own progress, why do I do this?

I've spent a considerable amount of time figuring this out and I think I'm getting finally getting somewhere: The ladder has been up against the wrong wall all along...

Thankfully, in spite of not being able to achieve the values I set out for myself - or rather, the ad hoc, random, ill conceived values inherited and forced upon me from the culture - I have learned an awful lot, I've have written some half decent songs and had a few thoughts that I think are worth sharing.

In one way or another, this is a blog about increasing one's freedom to create, as seen through the lens of my own experience and with my songs providing the soundtrack.

Emancipation and music.













No comments:

Post a Comment